Sunday, October 25, 2009

Regular commitments: Key to your long-term success

I recently created the following affirmation: "Regular commitments are so awesome. Being made in moments of absolute clarity of my true life priorities, they ensure that I'm putting into action what matters most - regardless of how I feel in a specific situation."

There is a lot of truth in it:

  1. It is so important to take regular time to think about what is important in life and to define review our core values for which we are living. A lot of people today are addicted to high-frequency tasks and hence will feel uneasy and unproductive. Nothing could be further from the truth as it's better to ensure that the ladder is at the right wall before we start climbing it.
  2. Based on what is most important to us we should set up regularly reoccurring times in our schedules in which we work on making our desires reality. Otherwise most people get caught up in other things as distractions today are omnipresent.
  3. It is extremely important to have the discipline to really commit 100% to doing those things. Unless something more important – not something more urgent! – comes along we have to discipline ourselves to stick to what we previously planned.

I have plenty of regular commitments in my schedule. I set the time intervals in a way that it still leaves me with enough time to deal with unexpected events. For example I go to martial arts classes twice a week, study a stock market course once a week and catch up with one of my best mates at least every fortnight.

All three things support things that are very important to me. The regular commitment allows me to not listen to all the daily excuses I'm confronted with and after doing those things I always feel absolutely awesome as I made another very crucial step closer to my dreams. For example I usually feel a lot of thoughts going on in my head before martial arts classes like "I'm too tired. Today I could skip class once". However, as I know I have this commitment set-up it's so easy to disregard this rubbish that is trying to keep me in mediocrity.

Challenge Yourself: In which areas of your life could you establish regular commitments to ensure that you are really doing what is most important to you in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment